Chicago and Savanna

A few days after returning from my long trip in Vietnam, we headed off to Savanna and Chicago. I was accompany by Grandmother, Mom, and Dad joined us later in the week. The week long in Illinois was full of visits with families, ancestors, and a wedding.

My first day I visited my great uncle Bob and his family just right outside of Chicago. I have seen them before, but it’s always fun to see them again. My second cousin Timothy came over to visit with his parents and we had a lot of fun together. One of my favorite things to do was watching Harley the dog run around and play.

The next day we drove out to Savanna, a city about 2 hours out of Chicago where Grandma grew up. It was beautiful and here I was able to visit the grave-site of Dad’s maternal grandparents, and great grandparents. I heard Grandma and Mom talking about my great grandparents so often on the trip that once I got there, it seems like I knew them. They must have been really beautiful people and I just hope I will grow up and be able to inherit some of their amazing traits & personalities. Especial great grandpa’s sense of adventure and being the renaissance man he was and great grandma’s happy personality.

I ran up to hug and kiss their headstones, and just really like to hang around there though Mom said it was getting too hot to stay in the sun. Savanna is a beautiful town and I am really happy I had a chance to come and visit it with Grandma. I hope to return again when I am older.

The wedding celebration that I was able to attend parts of was beautiful! I really like uncle Henry, he is funny and has a warm smile. The swing at Mr. O’connor’s house was so much fun, and I was captivated at how beautiful everything in the church was, especially the ceremony. Not to mention the great first baseball game I've been to in my life, go CUBS!

We ended our weekend in Chicago with sun on the Lake and an afternoon at the Children’s Museum with more friends and family. It was a long trip, but I really enjoyed it. Thank you Grandma for helping out with the trip and being such a great companion.

Comments